The Guidance Service at The Gap SHS supports students in their learning and wellbeing through career, educational and personal counselling. These areas of concern may include:
- Career Pathways
- Entrance to University or TAFE
- Subject Selection
- Friends and Relationships
- Schoolwork and Stress Management
- Mental Health
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Sleeping or Eating Problems
- Family Issues
- Student Protection concerns
If students are requiring support they can arrange an appointment via The Gap SHS Student Sharepoint through the online referral form - Referral to GO/Wellbeing Team member, they can also go directly to the Wellbeing Hub #2 (Lower E Block) to make an appointment.
Teachers can refer students to the Guidance Officers via the online referral form.
Parents can arrange appointments with the Guidance Officers via the referral form on the school website located within the Support and Resources section.
Appointments are scheduled for 20 minutes, during this time the Guidance Officers will assess the students need and develop a plan for the most apporpriate course of action.
Possible outcomes may include:
- Student being invited to participate in a group program
- Case conference with student's teachers to discuss strategies
- Invitation to an individual appointment with member of the Wellbeing Team (eg. Guidance Officer, Nurse, Chaplain)
- Sharing of strategies to support the student with teachers.
- Parent contact/meeting
- Referral to external organisation for further support for student.
The Wellbeing Team facilitate lunch time programs to support the student community, including the LGBTIQ+ group, Year Level Activity group programs a with self-regulation focus and more.
The Guidance Officers are responsible for different year levels:
Kids Helpline - 1800 551 800
Lifeline - 13 11 14
ParentLine - 1300 301 300
Family and Child Connect - 13 32 64
Headspace - 1800 650 890
Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636